It took the whole three day 4th of July weekend to complete this project.
First I had to complete the work I began the previous weekend. So, Friday morning began with shooting a line over a tree
to complete what I called my “Height-Line”. This line will establish the height of the center of the dipole and travels
east to west and is approximately 50 to 60 feet above ground. I got the line up and over the tree on the first try.
Next I attached the center insulator of the antenna to this line and pull the dipole up to it highest point and then I set
and secured both ends using one gallon milk containers filled halfway with sand.
Next I put up lines for the each of the antenna legs which will run north and south. The process of shooting these two
lines was easier because of the learning experience shooting the height line. Both the north and south ends went up easily
and were secured in the same way the height line was secured.
At this point the antenna was up and was a work of beauty. All that was needed now was to connect the 70 feet of coax that
fed the antenna to my Orion 2. This involved drilling a 1 inch hole though the house into the basement where my radio
shack is located. Once I completed this I fed a 25 foot length of coax through this hole, secured it to the antenna feed
line using an SO239 barrel connector and connecting the other end to the Orion 2.
After a short test to determine I could hear stations and also tune the radio I filled the hole I drilled with insulating
foam sealant to close the hole. Then I buried the coax cable that was visible on the ground using a log splitter wedge.
I just hammered the wedge into the ground a few inches and pushed the cable into the slot and covered it up. And like
magic the cable disappeared.
I will post an update of how the antenna and Orion work in the next installment.